Stay Connected

936 Market Street •  Fort Mill SC 29708  (803) 396-0493

Allyson Rooney: Om Teacher Spotlight

DSC_5430allysonrooney

1. What is your go-to mantra?

"So Hum, which translates to “I am that."
“I am” represents the connection to myself, and "that" represents the connection I have to the universe.

This mantra symbolizes the fact that we are all connected to the universal energy that is constantly supporting and nourishing us. This mantra has the same spirit the concept of  “oneness” or being one with the Universe and all creation.

2. What is your favorite part about summer?

Taking time off from work and spending time with my daughters, Maddy, age 9, and Olivia, age 11.

3. Your favorite yoga memory?

Over 20 years ago, my dancer friend brought me to my first yoga class at a studio in NYC. I sat in the back as I was told that is where “newbies” should go so they can follow along. As class began, it got very quiet, the instructor opened with an “ahm”, a chant, and then a sutra - all totally foreign to me. Then we started to breathe...OUT LOUD. I thought, “What am I doing here? I thought I was here to work out." The Asana practice was next, and then we closed with a call and response chant. I tried to respond in the best Sanskrit I could, because I never heard it before. I copied the other students, bowing my head and saying “Namaste,” even though I really had no clue what it meant. At the end of the class, I told my friend that I had no idea THIS was yoga. I felt at peace, relaxed and energized all at the same time. I felt like I had a workout, but totally different to my regular routine. It was amazing. I felt great. I was hooked, and I still am, more now than ever. :)

4. What's something yoga has helped you learn to do off the mat?
Yoga has helped me off the mat in so many ways. The two greatest lessons I have learned are to (1) PAUSE, take a BREATH, and think BEFORE responding, and to (2) BE PRESENT.

It is still a work in progress, but I have caught myself in so many situations saying "pause, take a breath, think," in my head, and ultimately choosing a response or an action in a completely different way than I may have in the past.

Secondly, I have tried hard to be present. I know we hear this all the time, but when I was in teacher training, I realized how much I was missing because I was trying to do 20 things at once (thinking I was the greatest multi-tasker ever). Later, I realized I was missing the important things I was trying so hard not to. I pay more attention now, and try to fully attend to and enjoy even the simplest of things. I am learning not only to say it, but to truly appreciate and enjoy every moment.

5. What is your favorite song?

I like all kinds of music. Lately I get recommendations for my yoga playlists from my 11 year old. Ha! :)

6. Aside from necessities, what's one thing you could not go a day without?

Seltzer water, no flavor, just plain ol' seltzer; however, lately I have been on a La Croix kick. On a vanity scale, I would say mascara. I love mascara.

7. What's the most daring thing you've ever done?

Moving to NYC after college, and working in a large hospital where I didn’t know anyone.

8. If you were a superhero, what powers would you have?

Definitely FLY!

9. Who is your hero?

The underdog is always my hero. Being a physical therapist, I work with people of all ages, and for all different reasons, who face various kinds of physical challenges. I am amazed everyday at the inner strength, determination, commitment, and fearlessness I see in my patients. I am constantly inspired by, and rooting for, those very people who give it their all, do their best, fall down, and get back up. My patients are my heroes as they work to overcome obstacles day after day.

10. What is something you're currently working on in your yoga practice?

Currently in my practice, I am working on ROCKET VINYASA!!! I recently finished a 50-hour training with Patrick McCleaf. It was totally awesome. I am trying to incorporate rocket-inspired teaching in my power mix and hot vinyasa class. I am hoping more people become interested, as I would love to teach a true “rocket class." Stay tuned ...my daughter helped me put together a movie clip of a few pieces of the rocket practice. It might get you hooked…:)

11. What is your greatest accomplishment?

Being a mom. I feel so blessed and grateful for my girls. They truly are everything to me.

Comments

Security Check
Please enter the text below
CaptchaImage
Can't read text above? Try another text.
technology
Thu, December 13, 2018 3:25 am
technology
Www.Mcafee.Com/Retailcard, Mcafee.Com/Activate - How You Can Redeem Your McAfee Product Key and Get You Antivirus Activated In Few Easy steps. Quick Learn How You Can Use www.mcafee.com/activate to Activate McAfee using Product Key. Mcafee.Com/Retailcard
technology
Thu, December 13, 2018 3:21 am
technology
Www.Mcafee.Com/Activate, Mcafee.Com/Retailcard - McAfee antivirus tool which is very useful for those, who need to get amazing security provider for their personal computer. You can get more features and enhanced services of protection against malicious attacks. Mcafee.Com/Activate
technology
Thu, December 13, 2018 3:14 am
technology
Www.Avg.Com/Retail, Avg.Com/Retail - Dial the AVG Antivirus Customer support phone number to get quick help and solutions to the problems over the phone. Seek immediate customer service for AVG antivirus. Avg.Com/Registration
technology
Thu, December 13, 2018 2:55 am
technology
Www.Office.Com/Myaccount, Office.Com/Myaccount - Let's Connect with our skilled MS Office setup experts via Email, call or live chat and get instant and immediate support for any Office.Com/Setup related query. We choose to solve your issues remotely so your time and money can be saved. Office.Com/Myaccount
technology
Mon, December 10, 2018 6:42 am
technology
Www.Office.Com/ Setup, Office.Com/Setup - We are a Microsoft Office setup support provider to offer full-fledged technical support for those users who have any sort of issues concerning about MS Office applications. Www.Office.Com/Setup
Winkler
Sat, December 8, 2018 6:16 am
Winkler
Actually, we can find a huge number of contributors that can satisfy your need for funds for educating your children by giving Scholarship check this link right here now to know more
jaimeeashears
Sat, December 8, 2018 3:25 am
jaimeeashears
mx player pro download titanium backup pro download es file explorer pro download
ponajadodu
Sun, November 18, 201811:44 pm
ponajadodu
Thank you so much for your great information,http://chouraha.com/ssc-kya-hai-ssc-ki-taiyari-kaise-kare/ It is too useful for me. http://chouraha.com/collector-kaise-bane/
tim09
Tue, November 6, 2018 8:33 am
tim09
This clearly is a brand new way to entitled things in a pretty mismatched way I thought of a people more aspiring enough to get along Coursework Club have got me like these types of information coping with it in a normal way.
mariodawson
Tue, November 6, 2018 6:15 am
mariodawson
Amazing sharing, thanks for sharing with the online community. shadow fight 2 mod apk latest version epsxe apk hitman sniper apk
Hilarys
Tue, November 6, 201812:45 am
Hilarys
Clare conflict commenced her yoga journey at Om in searching out a interest to connect with 3D Animation Company and a way to trade herself. Because it does with so a lot of us the notable impact of yoga surprised Clare.
Amber Angela
Thu, September 13, 2018 3:11 am
Amber Angela
The unfortunate thing is many of us let these doubts and opinions about yoga keep us off the assignment help company web. Yoga is not about doing perfectly. Yoga is about pushing yourself to where you are, taking your shortcomings, and moving into individual growth.
Nexstair
Sun, June 10, 2018 2:37 pm
Nexstair
it was a wonderful chance to visit this kind of site and I am happy to know. thank you so much for giving us a chance to have this opportunity.. Corn
Nexstair
Sat, June 9, 2018 4:20 am
Nexstair
You completed a number of nice points there. I did a search on the issue and found nearly all people will have the same opinion with your blog. Food